Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Spic-and-Span

HUGE culture shock.

India equals chalk and Singapore equals cheese (and a fine one at that). I rock up in my India travelling garments which felt good and comfortable in when left Mumbai, with my Nike zooms on felt I gave my outfit a modern twist, but hello Singapore, hello developed world, hello me the traveller bum. Don't actually care but it's quite amazing how much these countries contrast.

Singapore is so clean and expensive to what I have been used to.

Hop in a taxi and arrive to a warm welcome from Mandy (little Sarah's mum). Her and her boyfriend George have lived in Singapore for a couple of years and are loving the relaxed and non-crazed life as well as the agreeable weather.

Now the food was good in India but actually Singapore is on par. Head out for dinner in one of the hundreds of hawker centres here. Super good food and super cheap prices. I'm in! Mandy takes me on a mini evening tour of Singapore, see Raffles Hotel (super colonial and gorgeous building) and look out on panoramic views of Singapore from the 70th floor of yet another nice hotel (can't remember name right now) - sip on a scrumptious blue cocktail while looking out at the neon lit night sky.

The next day I am on a mission to find a pair of boots for the jungle. Should be easy right in what is one of the shopping Mecca's of the world. Or maybe not. Rock up to the infamous Orchard Road which houses about 20 mega malls. Find it difficult to see a shop that's not Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton or some equally extravagant designer (and even Topshop, Gap, Zara). Finally find a sports shop hidden in the top corner of one of the malls so thankfully my only obligatory buy has been sorted...phew. Then can relax and check out Chinatown and Little India (of course I had to do this one).
For dinner Mandy takes me to one of the many buffet style restaurants here. Basically for $40 dollars you can eat as much as you like......food heaven. Oysters, Tiger Prawns, Sushi, Sashimi, Crocodile soup (possibility ate this by accident, thought it was chicken - hoping don't get any bad karma when with the crocodiles in the jungle....) and a further plethora of culinary delights. I have two full plates of mains and two of puddings. Fatso.

No comments:

Post a Comment